The January Roundup

Before we begin, I am very aware that it is now MARCH (how??). I'd fully intended to write this before January had even finished but of course, classic Charleigh, found other stuff to do instead. And by other stuff I mean I sat on the sofa in my pyjamas and probably snoozed through some romcoms.

SO

January was actually a bloody fab month for me. The whole new year, new me thing has never been my style but this year actually felt like a new beginning. Newly single, FUN Charleigh danced her way into the new year as she'd intended and for the first time possibly ever, my new years plans went as well as I wanted them to, if not better. Literally every member of staff where I work is expected to work the event we always hold on New Year's Eve and I have to say I was more than okay with it. Work feels a lot like home now even though everyone is mental, perverted and constantly fighting. We finished at 11 and by 11:30 I was in the pub, off my face and flirting with a colleague, who rumour had it, totally fancied me. By 11:45 I was stood in front of the Abbey, giving him a cheeky snog before he got in a taxi home. Oh so romantic, right?... WRONG. I mean sure it was kind of romantic at the time and i literally skipped back to the pub after that but oh honey, since then? 1 awkward date which turned into an awkward month of avoiding each other at work was so not worth it. The lesson learned? Say no to dates unless you REALLY fancy the poor guy. The other lesson learned? Do not go out in town with your cousins the night before you know you have a date because they will wingwoman the shit out of you and you'll end up back at your flat with an Italian guy called Julio who keeps asking you if you have a spare filter. (NO FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME I DON'T SMOKE). Yeah don't do that, makes the date real awkward am I right ladies??... Oh just me? Whoopsie daisy...

I'd been given the next week off work and spent it visiting the famalam and I have to say, it was well exciting to see my mum twice in the space of two weeks. When you live alone you realise how nice it is to be woken up with a cup of tea, even if it is at 8am before she leaves for work. It always tastes better when it's made for you. My advice? Say yes to EVERY cup of tea you are offered.

After a VERY boozy Christmas and New Year I thought I'd take it easy and treat myself to the Lush bath of dreams. It was glorious. There was candles. There was tea. There was macaroni cheese bites and there was my main gal Bridget Jones. White girl euphoria. Have to say though, that sales assistant that was convinced we were twinsies because she'd recently broken up with her long term boyf and also didn't care about their valentines range needs to check herself. Nah.

By the middle of the month I was settled back into work and loving/hating the reduced hours and lack of rushing around. Finishing 45 minutes earlier than normal makes all the difference when you get home and can still be bothered to do things in the evening. Nothing short of a miracle by my book. I had so much energy that I was even up when I got a call from the head of pastry at 11pm asking if she'd left her wallet in my car. Now we get on pretty well and I have a lot of time for her but still after more than a year of working together she refuses to call me anything other than her 'work colleague'. It had become a running joke. She's forever frantic but I could tell by her voice that she was really freaking out like I'd never heard before. Probably is quite frustrating when you can't find your Czech citizenship card, you don't have your passport and you're meant to fly in 6 hours time to be fair. Luckily it was in my car and I drove it straight back to her house in my pyjamas. I'd be back home in less than an hour after all. Or not... Cut to two hours and a bottle of wine later and the two of us are dancing around her kitchen to Britney Spears, Scouting for Girls and Barbie Girl by Aqua while her sister and the sister's creepy boyfriend Paulo are smoking weed in their dressing gowns in the next room. At least I wasn't underdressed. I'm still confused by the whole thing now. Being the kinda gal she is, T still hadn't booked her damn flights. I wish someone had recorded us trying to check her in on the Easyjet app. It's a lot more difficult when she can't tell when she's speaking Czech and when she's speaking English when she's off her face and the only Czech word I know is whore. You'll be pleased to know we went to bed after that and she got a whole 8 minutes rest in before her alarm went off at 4am. We hadn't even gone to sleep yet and her idea of packing was to shove 1 pair of pants and a single sock in her coat pockets. Pure class that woman.

After that we became official friends and while she still winces when she says it, I know we're homies. Naturally that meant I offered to pick her up from the airport on her way back and invested in the Abba Gold album for the ride. Without doubt the best car singalong of my life. We've decided to do it once a month after pay day it was that good, except next time if we stop at the services I'm hoping she'll come inside for a wee instead of doing it on a small patch of grass in the car park while some guy watches from his truck. I wish I was joking.

2 days later and I'm back on the raz. I bumped into my bezzie from work and have the funniest video of me literally screaming in her face because 'I'm so fucking excited to see you!!!'. Sorry Alice, your first set of hearing aids are on me, hun. This was also the famous night of the hoe hoops. My friends and family still ask about 'Mr Taxi Driver' often.

Towards the end of the month the poster for the staff Christmas party went up and the pastry girls started getting pumped. I bought a new dress and heels and did a full practice run of my makeup at least 12 days in advance. Just in case, you know. Winged eyeliner's just not my forte alright. I had some free time on my hands... Clearly a little too much time because I also thought it would be a great idea to dye my hair. At home. (Y tho??) Long story short, I saw it in daylight for the first time a couple days later and holy shit was it yellow?! Thank god it was raining that day so I could keep my hood up on the way into work and then walk around protected by my hairnet for the day. Good job I'm so fun and breezy now so I could laugh at it otherwise I think I'd have cried. So yellow. Luckily it wore off after a week or so and looked like I'd never died it in the first place. Good old trusty Garnier Nutrisse (I thought I could trust you Holly Willoughby!?!).

A better if not slightly less thrilling discovery of the month was peanut butter overnight oats. Yes I jumped on the bandwagon. Yes it is worth it. Yes it looks gross. Get on it, people.

Overall, a fab month. Lots of things ticked off the list for the year already (obvs not the filing, come on guys), and I didn't cry ONCE. NOT ONCE. Don't mean to be a soppy twat but possibly the best month I've had for ages. Living the bloody dream here lads... Or possibly just too drunk to remember? You decide.






Comments

Popular Posts